Crisis Resources and Hotlines
Please note that CAPS cannot guarantee that all resources are operating with normal hours/services during the COVID-19 pandemic. Contact the service directly to learn more.
- For urgent mental health issues and crises involving a USF student, call the CAPS All Hours number 24/7: (855) 531-0761
- On-campus emergencies: Contact USF Public Safety, (415) 422-2911, 24/7
- Off-campus emergencies: Call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room 24/7
- Crisis Text Line: text BAY to 741741: Get support by texting with a trained peer counselor
- Mental Health Association of San Francisco has a 24-hour peer-run line for non-emergency emotional support at (855) 845-7415
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233/ TTY (800) 787-3224 (available 24/7); for more information on and resources for domestic violence, visit CAPS' page on relationship abuse and partner violence
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call (800) 273-TALK (8255) for free support for crises and emotional distress
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: Call (800) 985-5990 for free, multilingual, immediate crisis counseling regarding local or national disasters
- San Francisco Mobile Crisis Treatment Team: Call (415) 355-8300; can assess and consult by phone for adults with a mental health crisis living in San Francisco; Mon–Fri 11 am–11 pm and weekends 12 noon–7 pm
- San Francisco Department of Public Health Behavioral Health Services has a 24/7 Access Line, (415) 255-3737 or (888) 246-3333, to provide support and connect residents of San Francisco (primarily serving those on Medi-Cal, San Francisco Health Plan members, and other San Francisco residents with limited resources) to counseling within 48 hours
- Westside Crisis Drop-In: Provides crisis counseling, stabilization, and resources to adult residents of San Francisco at 245 11th Street, San Francisco; during the COVID pandemic: The crisis clinic is accepting walk-ins, but because staff is very limited, walk-in services are mainly focused on emergency medication refills; case managers are working remotely 8:30 am to 2 pm Monday to Friday, and services are currently not available on weekends; contact the clinic at (415) 431-9000 or email@example.com
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital Psychiatric Emergency Services, (628) 206-8125, is located at 1001 Potrero Avenue and offers mental health crisis assessment and support 24/7
Read more about CAPS crisis services here.