For Managers: Onboarding New Employees
The research is clear – a new employee's first 90 days are crucial to ensuring their success as valuable team members. As a manager, you play an integral role in onboarding a new employee at USF.
When a new employee begins their career at USF, your role as their manager and/or supervisor is to help them succeed:
- Before your new team member arrives, ensure that the appropriate equipment and digital access are established. For more information, reference the supervisor’s checklist for new employees.
- Review the Purchasing New Hire Checklist for an overview of Purchasing and Ancillary Services (PaAS) resources to order business cards, set up printing access, and arrange for purchase system training if needed.
- Ensure that your new hire has begun the onboarding process using the HR New Hire Welcome Center.
- Confirm that your new employee received instructions to sign up for the next Benefits and Employment Orientation.
- Schedule a lunch with your new employee during their first week.
- Schedule regular, one-on-one meetings with your new employee to check in with them and provide feedback during their first 90 days.
- Draft an email that introduces your new employee, and send it to your department and any others at USF who would be interested in their employment and with whom they will interact.
- Describe performance management at USF and the annual performance appraisal.
- During their first 2 weeks, communicate your expectations and collaborate with your new employee to create their goals and objectives for the first 90 days. Solidify them by the end of their first month.
- Revisit and reiterate initial goals during their first 90 days so that a clear path to success is established from their hire date to the end of the review process.