Employee Classifications

Employees will be advised of their employee classification at the time of hire (e.g. via their offer letter) or at the time of promotion or transfer if any change in their current position occurs. Because most employees are hired for an unspecified duration, assignment to any classification does not guarantee employment for any specific length of time. Regardless of classification, employment is at will.

All employees are classified as non-exempt or exempt according to the following definitions: 

  • Non-Exempt: Full-time or part-time employees who are subject to the payment of daily and weekly overtime as required by federal and state law based on job responsibilities and duties
  • Exempt: Full-time and part-time employees who are exempt from overtime provisions of federal and state laws due to job duties and responsibilities that meet the exemption criteria established under the U.S. Department of Labor's Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Furthermore, employees may be classified as Regular Full-Time (RFT) or Regular Part-Time (RPT):

  • Regular Full-Time (RFT): Employees who are regularly scheduled for 30 hours or more of work per week
  • Regular Part-Time (RPT): Employees who are regularly scheduled for less than 30 hours per work week

Employees who have questions about their classification should contact their supervisor.

Independent Contractors and Subcontractors

Occasionally, the University may engage an independent contractor to perform certain services that cannot be readily performed by employees because of existing staffing constraints or due to the nature or urgency of the services required. Before an individual may be engaged as an independent contractor, however, a determination must be made as to whether the arrangement would result in an employer-employee relationship.

The Independent Contractor Policy sets forth the criteria to be used in determining a worker's status as an independent contractor or an employee based on the classification factors published by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The Policy also includes standard agreements for individuals contracting with the University, including separate agreements for speakers and entertainers, that must be signed by both the individual and the University before any services are performed.

For more information, read the University’s Independent Contractor Policy web page.