Students and Prospective Students on Other Visa Types

Students and prospective students in the United States on a visa other than F-1 or J-1 may still be eligible to attend USF without changing to a student visa.

For many visa categories (for example H1, H4, L1, L2, J2, TN) study is only incidental to your status and it is fine to study as long as you are still meeting the terms of your status. Some student's choose to start their program in their current visa status and then later transition to a student visa. Student in other visa types should know the following about ISSS:

  • You should make sure that ISSS has your correct status on file by bringing your passport, visa, I-94 (and any other proof of status documents you may have) to the ISSS office upon beginning your program.
  • You are likely to receive communications from the ISSS office. Some of the information in these emails and newsletters will apply to you and some may not, however, ISSS prefers to include you on these communication so that you will have the needed information. Please respond as necessary.
  • If you want to apply for a Change of Status to a student visa you should read the ISSS Change of Status web page and make an appointment with an ISSS advisor. If you think you will want to apply for a Change of Status at anytime throughout your studies, it is best to check-in with ISSS as soon as you know this so that you can plan accordingly. The application process can take months to process. Graduate students need to check with their department to make sure that their program will allow a change to a student visa. All undergrad programs can support a student visa.
  • International Student Orientation is optional for students in non F-1 and J-1 visa categories, however, if you change to an F-1 or J-1 visa at anytime, attendance at an orientation program will be required.

ISSS is always happy to assist all USF students to the best of our ability, but keep in mind that our expertise is with student visas and we may need to refer you to a lawyer.