There are many funding opportunities through various programs and organizations. Some of them are country and/or program specific while others are based on financial need and merit. There are a few based on cultural and ethnic heritage as well. The following guide may assist in your funding research.
Scholarships, Financial Aid, & Loan Directories
- Merit & Need Based
- Country & Program-Based Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Cultural, Minority, Non-Traditional Scholarships
- Scholarship for Post-Graduates in the United Kingdom
- Scholarship Recipient Interviews
Scholarships, Financial Aid, & Loan Directories
Comprehensive directories of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants to find funding for study outside the US at an undergraduate, graduate, or professional level of study.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships
- Study Abroad Funding
- Fast Web
- International Education Financial Aid
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- All Abroad Funding
- Fund for Education Abroad
Merit & Need Based
- Gilman Scholarship - For recipients of Federal Pell Grant
- Boren Awards for International Study - Open to studies in regions critical to U.S. interests.
- Freeman-Asia - For students who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia
- Foundation for Global Scholars - For students studying abroad for the short term, a summer, or a semester
Country & Program-Based Financial Aid & Scholarships
- AIFS Semester & Summer Scholarships - International, Diversity, Study Again, & Affiliate Scholarships. Open to AIFS admitted students.
- Arcadia Scholarships - Open to Arcadia admitted students.
- ASA - Open to admitted students
- Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ) Bridging Project Scholarship - Open to students studying abroad to Japan IES Scholarships & Aid
- Boren Awards for International Study- Open to studies in regions critical to U.S. interests.
- Boston University Scholarships & Grants - Merit, need based, & program specific. Open to BU admitted students.
- Bridging Foundation - For U.S. citizen undergraduate students studying abroad in Japan for one or two semesters
- CEA Scholarships - Merit & need based. Open to CEA admitted students.
- Chinese Government Scholarship Program - Open to non-Chinese citizens who have been accepted to a Chinese higher education institution for an academic year long program. For more information, contact Mr. Guan Haiqiang at firstname.lastname@example.org, (415) 852-5984
- CIEE Scholarships - Open to CIEE admitted students.
- DAAD Scholarships - German Academic Exchange Students
- IES Scholarships & Aid- Merit & need based, summer, semester, diversity, public university, disability. Open to IES admitted students.
- ISA - Open to admitted students
- Korea University Business School (KUBS) - Program specific. Accepted students must contact KUBS for more information.
- Loyola University Chicago (LUC) Vietnam Center - Open to eligible students admitted to the Vietnam Center
- Ransome Scholarship -Program specific. Open to students admitted to University of St. Andrews
- SAI Scholarships - Open to admitted students
- SIT - Open to admitted students
- Semester at Sea - Open to admitted students
- The Education Abroad Network-Open to admitted students
Cultural, Minority, Non-Traditional Scholarships
- American Association of University Women - the largest source of funding exclusively for graduate women in the world, supports aspiring scholars around the globe, teachers and activists in local communities, women at critical stages of their careers, and those pursuing professions where women are underrepresented.
- Hispanic Study Abroad Scholars - Over $8 Million in scholarships for Hispanic study abroad. The HSAS Scholarship offers $1,000 per semester to students of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) attending Global Learning Semesters programs.
- National Security Education Program (NSEP) David Boren Scholarships - Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. We focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad.
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships - The purpose of the Ambassadorial Scholarships program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries and geographical areas. The program sponsors several types of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students as well as for qualified professionals pursuing vocational studies.
Scholarship for Post-Graduates in the United Kingdom
- Marshall Scholarship -The Marshall Scholarship Program Offers generous grants to selected graduates of American Universities who wish to pursue graduate studies in the UK.
Scholarship Recipient Interviews
Interview with Kevin Buena
Spring 2014 Gilman Scholarship Recipient
Victoria University of Wellington (VUW)
Interview with Clifford Alonzo
Spring 2014 Gilman Scholarship and American Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Scholarship Recipient
Sophia University Tokyo, Japan
Interview with Lauren AbuAli
Spring 2014 SIT Pell Match Recipient
SIT Buenos Aires, Argentina
Interview with Nicolas Miguel Orjuela
Spring 2014 Marcel and Clare Gloriot Foundation Scholarship and USF Student Enrollment Services Scholarship Recipient
PUC-RIO Rio de Janeiro, Brazil