BASE Graduate Student Travel Fund
The BASE Initiative provides up to $500 for Black-identified full-time graduate students at the University of San Francisco to attend professional conferences. Award funding is dependent on funds availability. Students may receive only one travel award as a degree candidate.
Note that all travel is subject to USF Travel and Entertainment Policy.
- Funds may only be used for transportation (airfare, taxi, shuttle, public transportation) and lodging. Other travel expenses, such as registration fees, meals, membership dues, car rental, parking, etc. are not eligible.
- Retroactive requests for funding are not allowed.
- Participation in the meeting/conference should be directly relevant to the applicant’s area of study and beneficial to their future career.
- Students may receive only one travel award as a degree candidate.
- The total number of travel awards and the amount per award each year is based on the availability of funds.
- Applications are accepted year-round; however, funds are limited. Students are advised to apply as early as possible!
- Open to Black-identified USF full-time registered graduate academic students;
- Must be registered in the term in which you are attending the conference.
- Must be in good academic standing
- Students must not have received a BASE Graduate Student Travel Award in the past.
- Must not have received cash awards from BASE or the Division of Student Life exceeding $99.99 in the same calendar year
At least ten business days in advance of the proposed departure date (or for virtual conferences, the event start date). Students are advised to apply as early as possible!
Please email the following information to email@example.com.
- Official conference announcement listing dates, location and fees.
- Proof-of-payment of registration fees (credit card statement in the applicant's name or verification from conference that payment has been received and processed).
- Proof-of-payment of travel costs (airfare, train ticket, ground transportation, etc.) or lodging (hotel). E-tickets are acceptable as long as they show that the applicant's credit card has been charged. Important: Travel must be conducted in the least expensive and most direct way possible. Travel award does not cover seat upgrade costs.
Graduate Division Travel Awards are paid as reimbursements of actual expenses incurred by awardees for approved expenses through Concur. Reimbursements are made after completion of travel. Reimbursement instructions will be sent via email with instructions on how to submit through Concur.
Please note that reimbursement requests must be submitted within 30 days from the end of a trip. Awards not claimed within 30 days from the conclusion of the conference or upon graduation (whichever comes first) will forfeit the travel award. After the reimbursement has been approved, it will take 1-2 weeks to process payment.
Note for students receiving financial aid: Travel awards do not appear in the student financial aid offer letter and will not count against the student's financial aid. Travel awards will count towards maximum allowable cash awards per calendar year.