International Student Orientation
Fall 2019 International Student Orientation takes place from Tuesday, August 13 - Saturday, August 17 with both optional and mandatory activities.
Mandatory International Student Orientation Activities:
Undergraduate International Student Orientation
Saturday, August 17, 2019
8:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
McLaren Conference Complex
Graduate International Student Orientation
Friday, August 16, 2019
9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
McLaren Conference Complex
The mandatory sessions are designed to address the most common questions and concerns that international students have as well as covering important information such as immigration regulations pertaining to your visa, academic expectations, and cultural adjustment.
- Undergraduate students must also attend New Student Orientation from August 17-19, and are encouraged to register for both International Student Orientation and New Student Orientation events.
- Graduate students need to attend their department orientation and can contact their department directly for more information.
International Student Move in Day: Tuesday, August 13
International student move in day is Tuesday, August 13. New international students moving into on-campus housing are expected to arrive this day to be ready for the orientation activities. ISSS will host a Welcome Center on the UC 5th floor with information for move-in, ID cards, immunizations, off-campus housing and more. Students who are arriving at the San Francisco International Airport can find details about how to get to campus on the Getting to USF page.
San Francisco Trolley Tour
International students will have the opportunity to participate in a San Francisco trolley excursion and tour on Friday, August 16. This narrated trolley tour through San Francisco will include stops at Union Square, North Beach, Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, and the historical Golden Gate Bridge. Interested students should register and purchase tickets by Thursday, August 15 on the RSVP page.
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Optional Activities: Wednesday, August 14 - Friday, August 16
There will be optional activities before the mandatory sessions to help incoming students get settled, meet new friends, and get familiar with campus. The detailed schedule of these events will be posted here in June, but the events include:
- Resource Fair: We will have some banks, phone companies, and campus offices there to answer all your questions. Please stop by to get your questions about campus answered.
- Working and Driving Presentation: An information session about getting an on-campus job, applying for a Social Security Number, and how to get a Driver's License.
- SF and Beyond Presentation: An information session about living in San Francisco and points of interests.
- Campus Tour: A tour to get students acquainted with campus.
- International Parent Reception: A place for parents to meet USF leadership and ask questions.
- Library Orientation: Get to know the Gleeson Library resources.
- Social Events: Off-campus dinner, Ice Cream and Karaoke Social, and more.
- San Francisco Trolley Excursion: A narrated trolley tour through San Francisco, including stops at Union Square, North Beach, the Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, and the historical Golden Gate Bridge.