Transferring to USF

If you are transferring to USF from another institution in the U.S, you are responsible for initiating and completing the SEVIS School Transfer Process.  You are considered to be an “F1 transfer student,” if you will begin studies at USF within 5 months of your last date of attendance at another school. 

How to Initiate the Transfer-In Process:

  1. Provide your current school with a copy of your USF acceptance letter and ask your DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to USF. USF’s school code is SFR214F00608000. Your SEVIS record must be transferred to USF within your 60 days after completing all degree requirements or the last day of your OPT. If your status at your current institution is ending early, for example if you are withdrawing from your current program, you need to contact your current institution to know what is the last day they can transfer your SEVIS record.
  2. Once USF receives your SEVIS record, the Office of Admissions will issue you a “Transfer Pending” Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20). If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. prior to beginning your studies at USF, you must use the “transfer pending” I-20 issued by USF to re-enter the U.S. Your USF I-20 will be sent electronically and you will receive instruction to your USF email address for how to access your I-20.

How to Complete the Transfer-In Process:

  1. Register for USF classes and complete the New Student Check-In/Status Verification by the end of the first week of classes.
  2. To complete the New Student Check-In Process, you must submit a Status Verification request on MyISSS and upload the following items:
    • Passport
    • Form I-20 issued to you by USF
    • Form I-20(s) from all previous schools attended
    • Current local address and phone number information 

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re an F-1 transfer student, you do not need to apply for a new F-1 visa unless your current visa has expired and you are leaving the U.S. before beginning your program at USF. Students may not obtain a visa inside the U.S.

Once all required documents have been received by USF and your SEVIS record has been transferred, the USF Office of Admissions will issue a Transfer Pending I-20 in approximately one week. Undergraduate students must pay their enrollment deposit before their I-20 will be processed by the Office of Admissions. Look for an email in your USF email account on how to access your electronic I-20.

If your SEVIS record is not in Active status, you are no longer considered an F1 transfer student and will need to depart the U.S., receive a new initial I-20 from USF, and pay the I-901 SEVIS fee to re-enter in F1 status. If your visa is expired you will need to apply for a new F1 Visa with your initial I-20 from USF. 

USF does not have a transfer verification form.

You may stay in the U.S. between programs as long as your SEVIS record is transferred to USF within 60 days of your program end date, and the period between programs is no longer than 5 calendar months.

Yes, you may travel outside of the U.S. between programs as long as your SEVIS record is transferred to USF within your 60 day grace period and you do not remain outside the U.S. or away from your studies for more than 5 calendar months. To re-enter the US, you will need your USF Transfer Pending I-20, a valid F-1 Visa, and a passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future.

If you are on OPT, your SEVIS record may be transferred to USF before your OPT end date or up to 60 days after (during your grace period). If you transfer to USF before your OPT end date, your OPT will automatically end on the day your SEVIS record is transferred. Students on OPT cannot study full-time in a degree program, so it is required that students transfer their record to USF by the start date of their program and end OPT by this date.

You may still request to transfer as long as your SEVIS record is in Active status. If you are outside of the U.S. and not sure whether your SEVIS record is Active, please contact your previous school. Make sure that USF has the correct mailing address for your new I-20 so you can have it to apply for a visa (if needed) and enter the U.S.

If your F1 Visa has expired, and you plan to travel outside of the US, you will need to apply for a new F-1 Visa (with your USF Transfer Pending I-20). Please make your visa appointment early and allow at least 1 month for your visa to be processed before you need to arrive at USF for your program. If you do not plan to leave the US between your programs, then it is fine to stay in the US on a expired visa as long as you have completed a SEVIS transfer and are maintaining F1 status. The next time you leave the US, you will need a new visa to reenter.

Your USF Transfer Pending I-20.

You do not need a travel signature on a Transfer Pending I-20 before the start date of your program.

If you have been admitted to an undergraduate program, please contact Graduate students should contact