What to Expect When You Come to the Writing Center
In order to get the most out of your Writing Center conference, please read the following:
- You should come on time to conference appointments, and arrive ready to engage actively in the conference. Please bring a clean draft of your paper and the assignment prompt. Also, if the assignment asks to interpret or respond to a reading, please bring the reading with you to our conference.
- You should be able to explain what the assignment is and what you want to focus on in our session. We can help with general interpretations of assignment prompts, but if you really do not understand what your teacher is asking for, the best person to ask is your teacher.
- Our half-hour sessions are not designed to "get through" the whole paper or cover everything in one session. Instead, we want to help you focus on one or two writing strategies that you can apply to the rest of your papers. Please understand that the Writing Center consultants do not correct or edit your papers for you, but provide feedback for you to learn, work, and improve your writing.
- You should be receptive to new approaches and techniques.
- You need to understand that writing is an ongoing process, and that mastery develops gradually.
- If we reserve an appointment time for you and you don't show up, that is one half hour we could have been helping someone else, so please call if you cannot make your appointment. Missing an appointment three times without canceling disqualifies you from making further appointments at the Writing Center for the remainder of the semester. You can, however, come for a drop-in appointment. Excessive cancellations or rescheduling of appointments are subject to review and may result in loss of Writing Center services. Students are limited to one appointment per day, inclusive of drop-in appointments.
- Students with disabilities needing accommodations for tutoring sessions should first contact Student Disability Services (SDS) with the request. SDS and the Learning and Writing Center will collaborate to meet the request.
- Any exceptions to the aforementioned guidelines must first be cleared by the Director of the Writing Center.
- For group papers, all members of the group need to be present for a session.