Frequently Asked Questions

USF Campus

Q: Where can I park for New Student Orientation?

You may park in any of the main campus parking areas without citation on August 18th-19th only. Please pay attention to parking signs on streets and in the neighborhood as those are managed by the city.  They will be citing.  Please refer to this map to locate these parking areas.

Q: Where do I get my MUNI pass (Undergraduate students)?

MUNI passes will automatically be placed on your new One Card that you will pick up at check-in. By completing ID express, your One Card will be ready for you at check-in. Otherwise, be prepared to go up to the One Card office (in Lone Mountain) to get your One Card.

Q: I have specific meal plan questions. Who can I talk to?

If you have any questions regarding your meal plan, please direct your questions to Bon Appetit Business Services. Information on how to contact them can be found here;

Q: What number should I call if I have any Orientation related questions?

 The hotline number is, (415) 422-5550.

Q: When do I get to meet my advisor?

You will be able to meet with your advisor at the Orientation to Your Major session. If not, you can arrange a meeting once classes begin. To view your advisor's name and contact information, log onto myUSF, click on the Student Tab under Self Service, then click on Registration. Then click on Registration Status & Advisor Information. You should be able to view your advisor's name and email address.

Q: How do I change my major?

Go to the Orientation to Your Major session for the major you want to switch to. Then, complete a change of academic program form the Center for Academic and Student Achievement (CASA), University Center 3rd Floor.

Q: I took the math placement test through Webtrack but I did not like my score. Can I take it again?

Unfortunately, no. The score is used to place you in appropriate courses in the USF curriculum so that you will be most likely to succeed.

Q: How do I get more information about the Career Services Center?

CSC staff will be at the Don's Fest Resource Fair along with many other important departments, or you can visit them online at

Q: How do I get a part-time job on campus?

Student Employment has listings for campus jobs online.

Q: Can I get credit for my AP/IB exams that I completed while in high school?

Yes, you should have your official score report sent to the Office of Admission for review. We award credit for most AP exam scores of 3 or higher. We require a 4 or higher for English Language and Composition, Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, US history, European History and World History. We award credit for scores of 4 or higher on higher-level IB exams.

Q: Should my parents/guardians attend New Student Orientation?

Yes, there are sessions designed just for them! They will have a separate program after the Welcome, as outlined in the schedule. 

Q: I already have health insurance. How can I waive this or avoid paying for health insurance?

Fill out the waiver online at you have questions you can also go to the Health Promotion Office on University Center 5th floor.

Q: As a transfer student, can I still Study Abroad?

Yes! You can speak with a representative from the Center for Global Education who should be at the Don's Fest Resource Fair during NSO. Otherwise, you can go to the Center for Global Education office located in Lone Mountain Main, Room 340. Information is available online at

Q: I will be living off campus. Are there opportunities for me to get involved on campus?

Yes! Meet with the Student Leadership and Engagement representatives at the Don's Fest Resource Fair or visit the University Center 4th Floor. Feel free to visit the Off-Campus Housing & Student Services website for more information on living off-campus.

Q: I registered but I still have a lot of questions about my major.

Most of your questions will be answered at the Orientation to Your Major session. If you'd like to ask questions before Orientation weekend, please contact your individual major department or college. 

Q: I am a veteran. Is there anything special I need do?

Yes! We have special programs and organizations for veterans that you will learn about at NSO. 

Q: Isn't orientation for freshmen?

No, there are many students admitted for the fall semester who are transferring from another college, so you are in good company.  If you are transfer, be sure to RSVP for the Transfer Reception on Monday August 20 at 12:30pm - 2:00pm when you register.  

Q: Where do I go for assistance with my transfer credit?

Advisors may be able to answer your question at the Orientation to Your Major session during Orientation. If not, you should visit the Office of Admission, located in Lone Mountain campus, Room 251.

Q: How do I access my degree evaluation?

Instructions are available here.

Q: Why did I not receive credit for major courses?

The Office of Admission only awards credit for the Core Curriculum, electives and clear USF course equivalencies. You should meet with your faculty advisor if you think some of your previous courses should apply toward major requirements. They can approve major credit through the course substitution process.

Q: Are there any courses offered specifically for transfer students?

Yes, there are rhetoric and composition and other courses designed specifically for transfer students. Some meet USF core requirements. Check them out here. Or ask about them at Orientation to Your Major!

Q: My fall semester courses are not included in my degree evaluation. How can I get these classes reviewed for transfer credit?

You should send all updated transcripts to the Office of Admission. They will review your most recent coursework for additional transfer credit.

Q: I got extended time on tests at my old school due to a learning disability. How do I arrange this here?

You need to sign up with Student Disability Services as soon as possible. They are located in Gleeson Lower Level 20 and will also be at the Don's Fest Resource Fair at NSO. You can also visit them online here.

Q: I heard you get free MUNI passes if you are a student. Where do I get one?

Yes! Undergraduate students who pay the Transportation Fee are eligible to receive one pass per semester. For new students, the MUNI pass is affixed as a sticker on your ID card ahead of time, so there's no need to wait in line to get it.

Q: How can I get involved in cultural programs?

Visit the Cultural Centers staff at the Don's Fest Resource Fair during NSO or visit their website at

Q: What hotels do you recommend my parent(s)/family to stay at during Orientation Weekend?

Several hotels in San Francisco offer discounts to USF families. Check out a list here.

Q: Are there gender neutral bathrooms available on campus?

There are several gender inclusive bathrooms at USF's main campus. To view locations and learn more about gender non-conforming student resources at USF, click here.