Passport & Visa Information


  • You must hold a national passport that will be valid six months after your study abroad.
  • You must provide us with a copy of your passport.
  • If you are an international student, you must also provide a copy of your U.S. visa.

Domestic Students – A U.S. Passport is good for ten years. If you do not have one or need to renew your passport, please apply immediately, as processing and delivery can take up to three months.

Passport instructions and applications are available in our office with an affixed list of post offices and contact information.

Passport photos services are available at places such as Walgreens, FedEx, or UPS stores.

You will need multiple photos for various things other than your passport (i.e. program application & confirmation materials, CGE, visa, etc.)

Apply for or renew your U.S. Passport today

When you receive your passport:

  • Sign it in black or blue ink, and fill in the address & notification data in pencil
  • Guard it as you would any other valuable.
  • Make several copies of the official page. Leave a copy at home with your family and carry a copy with you at all times when you are overseas. Be sure to keep an additional copy with your belongings.
  • Give a copy to the Center for Global Education
  • Loss or theft of a valid passport should be reported IMMEDIATELY to the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Theft of a passport should also be reported to the local police.
  • Ask your parents or designated emergency contact to obtain a passport, just in case they need to go abroad to help you in an emergency.

Student Visa

A visa is an official document giving permission to enter a country and is granted by the government of the country you wish to enter. It may be in the form of stamp imprinted on a page in your passport or it might be an official document which includes a photograph. All participating study abroad students need to obtain a student visa or permit either before departure or upon arrival depending on the host country’s requirements.

To apply for a visa, please check your destination country's requirements to determine which consulate to apply to. All visa requirements are different and may be subject to frequent change. When applying, make sure to check what documents you will need to submit along with your visa application and application fee. These might include: your current, valid passport, a letter from USF stating your status as a full-time student, and your acceptance letter from your study abroad program. You may also be required to submit one or more recent, 2”x2” photographs, evidence of financial support during your period of study abroad (i.e. bank statement), and proof of medical insurance. An online source is

Please be aware that the conditions on your visa may limit the number of times or the frequency with which you may leave and re-enter your host country. Make sure you understand these restrictions before you leave by inquiring about the reentry requirements at the embassies/consulates of the individual countries.

Get more information regarding foreign entry requirements

Keep in mind, it may take up to two months for a visa approval and most consulates are appointment-based only. Start the application process as soon as you receive your program acceptance letter!

NOTE! International Students going on further study abroad outside the U.S. must see the International Student & Scholar Services office (UC 5th floor) before departure to discuss visa regulations. International Students are advised to look up the host country’s specific entry requirements.

It is your responsibility to apply for and obtain your student visa. Contact a CGE Study Abroad Advisor or your host program coordinator for some assistance.