Being Sick on Campus
What do I do if I don’t feel well?
If you start feeling sick, you should slow down and focus on taking care of yourself. If you live on-campus, there are a number of resources to support you while you get back on your feet.
Tips To Get You Feeling Better!
- Get plenty of rest. By resting, you give your immune system a fighting chance.
- Sleep more. Try to be in bed a little earlier than normal. Taking naps during the day is also a way of getting more sleep.
- Eat healthy and drink lots of water. Adding more fruits and juices to your diet may provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need to help you get over your illness.
- Ask your friend or your roommate to get you lunch from Bon Appetit if you have the meal service plan.
- Visit the Dignity Health Medical Group. DHMG is open during business hours and located in an office space at St. Mary’s Medical Center on the third floor. Call (415) 750-5995 to schedule your appointment. Make sure you take your student ID card and health insurance card with you.
- Contact your professor. If you think you have to miss a class, email your professors to give them a heads-up.
- Contact your academic advisor if you are missing too many classes to help you improve your academic success.
- Contact your classmates/friends to get their class notes so you can stay up to date on your studies.
- Check in with your RA or RD and let them know you are not feeling well.
- Be a good citizen. If you are sick, it is important to try not to spread your illness and be considerate of the people on your floor. To prevent germs from spreading:
- Stay in your room
- Wash your hands frequently
- Don’t share cups, towels, or any personal items
- Cough or sneeze in the crook of your elbow
- Wash your sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and bath towels because when you're sick, those germs get caught in fabrics. Continuing to put your face on those germ-infested fabrics will keep you sick longer!
Resources During Business Hours
DHMG (St. Mary's Office)
2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor
Appointments: (415) 750-5995
DHMG (AT&T Park Care Center)
24 Willie Mays Plaza
Appointments: (415) 947-3096
585 Buckingham Way
Appointments: (415) 379-2000
Health Promotion Services
UC, Fifth Floor
HPS staff can assist you in finding a doctor, answering health insurance questions, and help you make informed decisions regarding your general well being.
Center for Academic and Student Achievement (CASA)
UC, 3rd Floor
CASA academic advisers can connect you to academic programs and personal resources on campus designed to support, promote, and encourage your success.
After Hours Care
Pacific Family Practice*
1 Shrader Street, Suite 578
Monday thru Friday: 5pm to 9pm
Saturday: 10am to 4pm
*USF does not have a contract with Pacific Family Practice. Thus, co-payments will apply.
**Please note: Pacific Family Practice will permanently close on October 1st, 2019. For more information, read their FAQ.