ABA Writing Competitions
Many competitions take place annually. Please read the details on each competition carefully on each competition’s website and be sure to check with the contest organizer for specific eligibility requirements.
Deadline: August 31, 2017 - Marin County Bar Association Legal Education Scholarship & Michael F. O'Donnell Memorial Scholarship
Up to $5,000
Deadline: July 12, 2018 - New York State Bar Association Committee on Animals and the Law Student Writing Competition
Topic : Any topic on Animal Law.
$1000 and Certificate of Achievement First Place
$500 and Certificate of Achievement Second Place
Certificate of Recognition Third Place
Deadline: July 1, 2018 - San Luis Obispo County Women Lawyer's Association
Topic: Please describe your connection to San Luis Obispo County and describe your work experience and any activities that you participated in that relate to women's issues.
Deadline: June 30, 2018 - Higbee & Associates and the Foundation for Continuing Justice Writing Competition
- How to improve expungement related laws in (state of your choice)?
- When, if ever, should government stop reporting criminal records to the public?
- What effects do criminal records have on former offenders ability to re-assimilate?
First Place: $2,000.00
Second Place: $1,000.00
Third Place: $300.00
$200 Honorable Mention
Deadline: June 10, 2018 - McDowell South American Heritage Scholarship
Topics: All applicants have to write an essay of at least 900 words about how their experience studying law in the United States impacted the way they think about legal systems in South America.
Deadline: June 4, 2018 - 35th Annual Smith-Babcock-Williams Student Writing Competition
Topic: Open to law students and planning students writing on a question of significance in planning, planning law, land use law, local government law or environmental law.
$2,000 First Place
$400 Second Place
$100 Honorable Mention
Deadline: May 25, 2018 - Arturo Gonzalez Summer Law Student Fellowship
Topic: The six-to-eight week fellowships are for law students who want to gain exposure and acquire significant practical experience in Immigration Legal Defense and Family Law.
Deadline: May 15, 2018 - The M. Katherine Baird Darmer Equality Scholarship
Topic: Describe what role you have played in advancing equality for the LGBT community and discuss what motivated you to go to law school.
Deadline: April 30, 2018 - 2018 Hogan/Smoger Access to Justice Essay Competition
Topic: Non-disclosure provisions in Settlement Agreements: Should courts enforce public policy disfavoring them?
$5,000 First Place
Deadline: April 9, 2018 - Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition
Topic: Any topic addressing developments or trends in U.S. environmental law with a significant constitutional, “federalism,” or other cross-cutting component.
$2,000 First Place
Deadline: March 25, 2018 - LAIPLA Diversity Fellowship
Topic: With the understanding that the term “diversity” is broadly defined, please describe how your background and character traits qualify you for this Diversity Fellowship and why you want to be a Diversity Fellow?
Please describe your interest in intellectual property law and your future goals for contributing to the Los Angeles intellectual property community.
If you could change one aspect of the copyright, trademark, or patent law, what would it be and why?
Deadline: March 20, 2018 - 2018 Google Public Policy Fellowship
Topic: The Google Policy Fellowship program offers undergraduate, graduate, and law students interested in Internet and technology policy the opportunity to spend the summer contributing to the public dialogue on these issues, and exploring future academic and professional interests.
Fellows will have the opportunity to work at public interest organizations at the forefront of debates on broadband and access policy, content regulation, copyright and creativity, consumer privacy, open government, government surveillance, data security, data innovation, free expression and more.
Deadline: March 9, 2018 - Ed Mendrzycki Essay Contest
$5,000 First Place
Deadline: March 3, 2018 - Affordable Housing & Community Development Law Writing Competitions
Topic: Entries should address any legal issue regarding affordable housing and/or community development law.
$1000 First Place
Deadline: March 2, 2018 - Willis W. and Ethel M. Clark Foundation-Marshall M. Schulman Criminal Law Writing Competition
Topic: The paper must pertain to criminal law and/or to criminal procedure, with a particular focus on contemporary issues of concern in the State of California. The paper should be original and scholarly. It should be appropriately and carefully annotated to reflect the authorities that support the author’s opinions and findings, and upon which the author otherwise relies.
$1,500 First Place
Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice
- Admiralty and Maritime Law Student Writing Competition
- Court of Federal Claims Bar Association Student Writing Competition
- Gellhorn-Sargentich Law Student Essay Contest
- Richard D. Cudahy Writing Competition
- Ed Mendrzycki Essay Contest
Affordable Housing and Community Development Forum Committee
Alternative Dispute Resolution
American Indian Law
Antitrust and Consumer Protection Law Section
- ABA Antitrust Law Student Writing Competition
- H. Thomas Austern Memorial Writing Long Paper Competition
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
Business Law Section
Commission on Mental and Physical Disability Law
Commission on Domestic Violence
Constitutional Law & Civil Rights
- American Constitution Society National Student Writing Competition
- Pacific Legal Foundation Law Student Writing Competition
Consumer Financial Services Law
Criminal Justice Section
Diversity and the Law
Ethics, Civility, Professionalism, & Law Excellence
Employment and Labor Law
- College of Labor & Employment Lawyers Writing Competition
- College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers Writing Competition
- Employee Benefits Writing Competition
- Louis Jackson National Student Writing Competition
Entertainment and Sports Law
Environmental Law Institute
Family Law Section
Health Care and Life Sciences
- Health Care and Life Sciences Law Writing Competition
- Sarah Weddington Writing Prize in Reproductive Rights Law
- ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Student Writing Contest
Intellectual Property Law
- Hon. William C. Conner Intellectual Property Law Writing Competition
- Robert C. Watson Award
- ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Intellectual Property Law
- Rona R. Mears Student Writing Competition & Scholarship Awards (No 2017 Contest)
- Texas International Law Section Law Student Legal Writing Contest (2016 Contest)
Lawyers' Professional Liability Standing Committee and Long & Levit LLP
- Levit Essay Contest on Lawyers' Professional Liability
- Ed Mendrzycki Essay Contest
- The Expert Institute's Annual Legal Writing Scholarship
- Bruce M. Stargatt Legal Ethics Writing Competition
- The American Society of Legal Writers' Law-Review Award Competition
- The International Association of Defense Counsel Legal Writing Contest (No 2018 Contest Posted)
- Law School Admissions Council
National Security Law Student Writing Competition
Public Contract Law
Public Interest Law
- Hogan/Smoger Access to Justice Essay Contest
- Third Annual Jameson Crane III Disability and Law Writing Competition
- The Public Law Section 2017 Student Writing Competition
Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni, Inc. (ASECA) Writing Competition (No 2017 Contest)
- James E. Beckley Writing Competition
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security
Trusts and Estate Planning
- Selma Moidel Smith Law Student Writing Competition
- Victoria Fisher Memorial Essay Contest (No 2017 Contest)