Digital Signage Content Options
We are always looking for more content to display on the signage system. Our team can provide assistance to users in several ways — from creating templates for your content to make updating easy, to simply providing specs, or design review services. The first step for any new concept or campaign is to contact us, and let us know what you have in mind. You can email the ads you have designed to us at email@example.com or use our OMC request form to request OMC to design them for you for a fee.
Here are the details on what we are looking for, how to request our help, and timeframes for production.
Note: Digital signage content functions similarly to event posters on the SLE bulletin boards. Policies detailed on the SLE Posting Practices pages are also applicable to postings on digital signage. Web and Digital Communications reserves the right to make editorial decisions about digital signage content and may seek approval from Student Life or the sponsoring school/college. There are a number of best practice design elements unique to the digital signage platform, please review formatting instructions found on this site.
Option 1: Create Your Own Content
We strongly encourage local users to develop their own content. Here are the basics of what we are looking at in your files to ensure that the content looks good and behaves well in this environment.
Basic Ad File Specs
- Physical Size
- Landscape format: 1920px wide by 1080px high
- Portrait format: 1080px wide by 1920px high
- Resolution: 72 dpi
- Color: RGB
- File type: JPEG or PNG
- File size: 400kb maximum
Your ad should have the information mentioned below:
- Name, date, time
Name of the Event
October 25, 5-6 p.m.
Fromm Hall, Xavier Room
- Short description of 2-3 sentences the most that starts with an action word (e.g. Join us for a lecture about... or Come and listen to...)
- Contact information
For more info please contact ... (email address) or call ...
- Additional important info
If the event is free, RSVP needed, or refreshments provided
- Keep text short and simple, you have only 20 seconds for your audience to read the content.
- Make sure all fonts are decently sized, generally much bigger than you would normally make them. Suggested font sizes:
Title: 70pt or more
Date, Time & Place: 36pt or more
Body text: 42 pt or more
Contact Info: 30pt or more
RSVP: Bigger than body text so it will stand out
- Use a call to action as often as possible — what do you want your audience to do?
- For all events include: time, date, location and sponsoring group. Don't use the university's full street address, building name and room number is all that is necessary. Don't use the year in the date.
- Some older screens may cut off the edges of the ads, so please don't put logos, QR codes or any text you don't want cut off close to the edges. Try to place them at least 100px away from the edge.
Video is supported on the digital signage. We ask that you please contact us before preparing any video file for viewing on digital signage. We will arrange transfer of the file and give specifics on file preparation at that time. Video displays best on the signage if it follows these guidelines:
- Files should be in MP4 format.
- Keep your film short. It is unlikely to be viewed for more than a couple minutes on signage. Consider an excerpt for longer pieces.
- Film and edit in high resolution, as the signage is a high-definition environment
- Film on signage is generally silent, so caption all video that includes voiceovers or talking-head interviews
For one-off submissions of ads or video, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a file transfer as most videos are too large to attach to an email. Include any relevant information about the event or contacts in the email.
Option 2: Use Our Web Design Services
Our office also provides design services for creating custom content on the digital signs. Please review the OMC rates and allow at least two weeks lead time before the ad should begin being displayed.
Give us all relevant event details by filling out the OMC Project Request Form. and be sure to include the following information in the details:
- Name, date & time of the event
- A short, 2-3 sentence description
- Contact information
- Additional important info (If the event is free, RSVP needed, or refreshments provided)
We will contact you within 2 business days with any questions or for confirmation that your ad or campaign is in our production queue. If you want us to adjust an existing flyer for digital signage, please submit editable Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Word or PowerPoint files with layers and embedded images.
Timeframes for Service and Projects
Our office also provides design services for creating custom content on the digital signs. Please allow at least two weeks lead time before the ad should begin being displayed. Give us all relevant event details by filling out the Digital Signage Request Form. We will contact you within 2 business days with any questions, or for confirmation that your ad or campaign is in our production queue.
- Self-produced ad content: submit 2 business days prior to display for review and scheduling.
- Video (completed) submissions: submit 2 days prior to display for review and scheduling.