Latinx Excellence and Belonging Initiative Working Group
The Latinx Excellence and Belonging Initiative Working Group members will work together to foster conversation and co-design of a university-wide action plan for the Latinx Excellence and Belonging initiative. During this commitment, the working group will assist the co-chairs with the following tasks:
- Identify effective ways for students and community members to participate in the working group.
- Meet regularly and make summary minutes available to the USF community.
- Research and report on the current status in the areas of Latinx Excellence and Belonging at USF including:
- student enrollment, persistence and retention, academic achievement and student services;
- recruitment, retention and morale of faculty, librarians, and staff;
- community-engaged research, creative activity and service to and engagement with the wider Bay Area community;
- campus climate and sense of belonging.
- Explore best practices at sister institutions and through Latinx/Hispanic Serving institution networks.
- Utilize USF community meetings/town halls and surveys to gather input from students, faculty, librarians, and staff as well as external stakeholders.
- Draft an action plan with recommendations to the Provost relating to the focus areas listed above, as well as other areas identified through the process of community engagement and consultation, that aligns with USF’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Assist with drafting one or more funding proposals and support Development efforts to identify gifts and grants to resource this work.
Throughout this process, the working group should attend to the diversity of Latinx communities at USF, in addition to differential experiences related to the intersections of race/ethnicity with gender identity and expression, sexuality, economic status, disability, nationality and immigration status, and other identities.
- Angélica Quiñónez, Director of University Ministry (Co-Chair)
- Belinda Hernandez Arriaga, Assistant Professor, School of Education
- Dellanira Garcia, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing and Health Professions
- Desiree Zerquera, Associate Professor, School of Education (Co-Chair)
- Dulce Martinez, Graduate Student Coordinator for Operations, Cultural Centers
- Genevieve Negron-Gonzales, Associate Professor, School of Education (Co-Chair)
- Jennifer Mora, Senior Director, Major Gifts, DEI and Community Initiatives
- Jessica Alva, Assistant Director for Student Organizations
- Julio Moreno, Professor, History and Engineering Departments, College of Arts & Sciences
- Maria Rodriguez, Graduate Student, Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) program, School of Education
- Mario A. González, Assignments Coordinator, Office of Student Housing, Division of Student Life
- Mario Peraza, Associate Vice President for Campaign and Engagement
- Nathalie Moreira-Ramirez, Assistant Director of Admission
- Stephanie Ortiz-Garcia, Assistant Director of Admission, Strategic Enrollment Management
- Sheila Smith McKoy, Vice Provost of Equity, Inclusion, and Faculty Excellence (Provost's office liaison)
- Simon Flores, Associate Dean, Retention and Persistence