Social Justice Programs
University Ministry is here for you during this difficult time. We want everyone to be safe, healthy, and informed. Please continue to check the USF Coronavirus Updates and Resources page. We invite you to use our online Prayers and Devotional Tools, to share a prayer intention, and to share a story of hope. UM staff are available by email, phone, and Zoom. Please reach out at any time for support or with questions about specific programs.
In accordance with the mission of the University of San Francisco, University Ministry's Social Justice Program invites students to step outside of their familiar university lives, walk with people at the margins of society, and in doing so, open their minds and hearts to personal transformation.
The Social Justice Program provides community-based learning in the Jesuit tradition: insertion experience, social analysis, reflection, and action.
Our Social Justice Program aims to
- Promote “faith that does Justice”
- Develop leaders who will fashion a more humane and just world
- Inspire students to live lives of hope, passion, integrity, and purpose
- Instill in students the values of service and social justice for social change
- Demonstrate an understanding of the diversity of the human experience and the importance of inclusive unity
- Develop an understanding of students' abilities and gifts
- Demonstrate an understanding of group dynamics and effective teamwork
- Explore greater understanding of community, social issues and the self in community
In the Jesuit Catholic tradition, we challenge our students to be contemplatives in action who
- Engage in experiences that challenge their perceptions
- Reflect with thoughtful attention to the influence and meaning of these experiences
- Allow their discernment to shape and transform their purpose in the world
- Actively develop relationships of compassion, justice, and advocacy
- Participate and promote programs that strive to create a more humane and just world
For more information, please email Mauricio Diaz de Leon