Fall 2022 New Master's Student Orientation & Important Information
Welcome to the University of San Francisco Economics Department!
We are excited to welcome you to join one of our master's programs. To prepare for your arrival and the first couple of weeks of your time at USF, please carefully read through the information on this page.
- Important Upcoming Dates & Events
- 08/18 New Master's Student Orientation Schedule
- New Student To-do List Items
- Important Resources for New Master's Students
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- Early Census Day: Monday, August 29, 2022, is the Last Drop Day with 100% refund for ECON 603-1, ECON 626-1, ECON 630-1, and ECON 636-1.
- University Census Date: Friday, September 9, 2022 is the Last Drop Day with 100% refund for courses with standard start and end dates for the Fall 2022 semester.
Please note that the Last Day to Drop with a 100% Refund may vary by course. The date listed here is applicable only to courses with standard start and end dates for the Fall 2022 semester. To find what Last Day to Drop with a 100% Refund date is applicable to a specific course, please visit the Online Class Schedule at usfca.edu/schedules www.usfca.edu/schedules or contact the Office of the University Registrar at (415) 422-7260 or email@example.com for assistance.
Important Upcoming Dates & Events
|Thursday, August 18th||New Master's Student Orientation (Mandatory)||2:00 pm - 6:30 pm||Fromm Hall - Maier & Berman Rooms||
New master's students will receive important information about what to expect in the AE/IDEC program, hear advice from current students, and learn about academic course planning from Academic Program Directors.
|Friday, August 19th||Graduate International Student Orientation||9:00 am - 12:00 pm||McLaren Complex||Mandatory for new F-1 international students. Please contact the ISSS directly about this event.|
|Sunday, August 21||
Golden Gate Park Welcome Picnic
|2:00 pm starts||Golden Gate Park Hellman Hollow Picnic Area||
Join us for a casual afternoon welcome picnic at Golden Gate Park to hang out with new master's students and current students. Snacks will be provided.
Feel free to bring your own snacks or lawn games to share.
|Thursday, September 1||Library Orientation Workshop (Mandatory for IDEC students and highly encouraged for AE students)||1:00 pm - 1:50 pm||Gleeson Library||
A quick tour of the Gleeson Library.
Advanced search techniques in the library’s article database.
Navigating the library’s resources to find the full text of journal articles.
Using "RefWorks" - a citation management tool.
Interlibrary loan services for obtaining articles and books not available at USF.
Finding country studies and statistical information.
|Thursday, September 8||Economics Master's student Career Services Orientation (Mandatory for full-time students)||2:00 pm - 2:45pm||Fromm Hall 125 - Maraschi Room||Attend this presentation to find out all about networking and how it can lead you to your next opportunity, plus gain some tips about the job search. You will learn some information to feel more confident about your career journey and have the opportunity to ask a Career Counselor your questions, too.|
|Thursday, September 8||
Economics Master's Students Welcome: Meet & Greet
|3:00 pm - 5:00 pm||Tarantino Plaza||
Join us for the Fall 22 Economics Department Meet & Greet to meet faculty, staff, and new/current students in the AE/IDEC program to celebrate the beginning of the semester. Food will be provided.
New Master's Student Orientation Schedule
August 18, 2022 at 2:00pm
Part I: Welcome & Introductions | 2:00pm - 4:20pm
- Student Check-in
- Introduction & Welcome from Department Chair, Faculty, and Staff
- Student Introduction
- Current Student Panel + Q&As
Part II: Program-specific Breakout Sessions | 4:30 pm - varies by programs
|MS Applied Economics||MS International & Development Economics|
|Led by Professor Peter Lorentzen||Led by Professor Bruce Wydick|
|Berman Room||Maier Room|
New Student To-do List Items:
- Set up your One Card All students are required to have a mobile One Card to access the campus. The One Card provides students with access to buildings, the library, on-campus printers/copiers, and more. You should set up your One Card before August 18th. If you do not set up access, you will not be able to enter any USF building.
- Set up your MyUSF account and start checking your USF email daily for important updates. We will ONLY be communicating with you via your USF emails after orientation.
- Register for Fall 2022 classes online. Registration guides can be found on Canvas and have been sent to your email.
- Check your Canvas Access. The department uses Canvas to communicate important information and share documents. All students should accept your Canvas invitation and check any updates often,
- Review your Program Handbook and sign and date at the bottom page via Canvas.
Useful Resources for New Master's Students
- Directions to the Economics Department
- Fall 2022 Health Insurance & Waiver Criteria
- Economic Honor Society and Club
- Important Campus Contacts
- Tuition Payment Plan
- USF Campus Map
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Master's Students
Last updated, August 15, 2022