Financial Assistance for International Students

USF students who are in the U.S. on a student visa should typically be funded by a sponsor or other means indicated at the time of the admission and visa application. If there arises a need for additional funds during your study, there are on-campus and off-campus resources available for international students. 

If you have lost the funding you were relying on and struggling with making your tuition payments, you should make an appointment with your ISSS advisor to explore your options.

U.S. government financial aid is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. International students who become a permanent resident during their studies may be eligible for government financial aid. For information on the financial aid process, visit the Financial Aid Guide or schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid office.

Scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students are determined at the time of admission. Certain graduate programs offer post-admission scholarships. Visit your program’s website for these resources.

Students may also consider taking out a private loan or applying for scholarships outside of the university. The Financial Aid office can help you search and apply for scholarships and private loans. Their website also outlines some of the private loan and outside scholarship options for international students. Please note that private loans require that students have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident cosign for the loan.

Here are additional websites to look into for scholarships and loans:

*Please note that ISSS does not endorse any of the loan companies and students considering loans should make sure they fully understand the terms of the loans and how much money they will be required to pay over the course of the loan.

The University offers student jobs on campus. International students in a degree-seeking program are eligible for student employment and can apply for these jobs once enrolled at the university. Please note that international students are not eligible for work study positions. For more details visit our On-Campus Employment page.

Certain graduate programs award teaching and research assistantships. Students should contact their program for application details.

The Office of the Dean of Students provides resources for students who may be experiencing basic needs challenges such as food and housing. If you would like to discuss options in more detail, please email the Office of the Dean of Students.

Most international students hold non-immigrant status in the U.S. and are generally not eligible for public benefits. Accepting public benefits may affect your status and re-entry into the U.S. so students should seek legal advice before doing so.