State Authorization & Compliance
State Authorization for Distance or Online Education
The United States Department of Education On-ground Ruling requires all postsecondary institutions to demonstrate that it has the proper approvals in each state that it enrolls students. Additionally, institutions are required to maintain compliance with other federal and state regulatory requirements.
The University of San Francisco is working to evaluate and comply with each state’s regulations on an ongoing basis.
STUDENTS ENROLLED IN AN ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAM
- Moving? Please update your address information through the myUSF portal. If moving to another state, please inform your respective program director.
- Required to complete a fieldwork, internship, clinical or practicum project? Please reach out to your program director if you are completing this on-ground requirement in a different state than where you reside.
USF FACULTY, STAFF, ADMINISTRATORS
Please reference the states where USF is accepting applications for your program on this page.
State authorization approval may be needed when engaged in the following:
- Recruiting prospective applicants for online degree programs
- Online graduate program application review and decision making
- Hiring faculty to teach online courses in states outside of California
- Approving fieldwork sites (includes but not limited to externships, clinicals, practica, etc.)
- Nursing programs may require professional licensure authorization by a state's respective Board of Nursing. For more information, please contact Nicole Cuadro (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the School of Nursing and Health Professions.
MARKETING & RECRUITMENT
- Internet and print marketing assets must include state authorization information and a link to the "do not enroll" text on this page.
- Most states do not allow for advertising campaigns that specifically target their state residents.
- In-person, on-site recruitment outside of California may require USF to obtain additional authorizations.
USF is accepting applications for enrollment into ALL of its online degree programs from residents in the following states:
- New York (exceptions are DNP concentrations in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner)
- Oregon (exception is Master of Arts in Public Leadership program)
Please check www.usfca.edu/state-auth for specific programs offered in these states.