State Authorization and Professional Licensure

State Authorization

Federal regulation 34 CFR § 600.9 (c) requires the University of San Francisco to obtain approvals in each state where it conducts educational activities. Individual state regulations stipulate which educational activities require approval, such as offering distance education or conducting online courses, advertising in local media, marketing and recruiting, employing faculty, and conducting experiential learning. 

Experiential learning refers to activities that are part of a program's curriculum and that are conducted in person or on-ground. Types of on-ground or experiential learning include: fieldwork, clinicals, externships, internships, clerkships, practicums, rotations, independent studies, study away, mentoring, advising, or proctoring.

The University of San Francisco is working to evaluate and comply with each state’s regulations on an ongoing basis. Please check the USF State Authorization and Professional Licensure Map (coming soon) and the USF Online Programs and State Authorization Status page for information on USF's state approvals and where USF is authorized to offer its online programs. California is not a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). For more information about NC-SARA, please visit

For questions about international authorization, please contact Anastasia Vrachnos, Vice Provost, Global Education, Immersions and Strategic Initiatives via email:

Professional Licensure

In addition to complying with state authorizations, USF is responsible for seeking approval by a state licensing board, if required, in a state where the professional license-related activities occur for online and face-to-face programs. These activities include distance education and on-ground educational activities such as clinicals, fieldwork, and practicums. The University of San Francisco is required to provide disclosures for programs, regardless of modality, which are intended to lead to professional licensure or certification. Please visit our page on Professional Licensure and Certification Disclosures.

Students: It is highly recommended that you seek guidance from the appropriate licensing board in the state where you are located (or where you plan to practice) before beginning the academic program that leads to professional licensure or certification.

*Important note for prospective MSN and DNP students: The MSN and DNP programs require post-licensure practicum or clinical components that are normally completed in the state the student is located. Students are usually required to be a licensed registered nurse in the state in which they complete practica or clinicals. 

Student Location and Relocation

A determination of student location must be made at the time of the student’s initial enrollment in an educational program, and upon formal receipt of information from the student, in accordance with USF's procedures, that the student’s location has changed to another state.

Prospective and current students should keep in mind that licensing and authorization requirements vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether they can continue in the program and/or meet the eligibility requirements of that state. If you are considering relocating, please inform your program administrator. 

In Fall 2021, the university implemented a local address requirement in order to comply with federal regulation 34 CFR § 600.9. Having up-to-date local addresses allows USF to provide students with essential health and safety services, direct students to local resources, and help everyone stay safe, connected, and informed. To update your local address information you can head to your My Profile page in the Student Hub. You can also update your local address through MyUSF, click on “Banner Self-Service (Student)” box, then click on the “Personal Information” tab. 

International Authorization

For questions about international authorization, please contact Anastasia Vrachnos, Vice Provost, Global Education, Immersions and Strategic Initiatives via email:

More Information

Answers to some common questions about state authorization are posted on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page. Please email for questions regarding state authorization at the University of San Francisco. Further reading on state authorization and regulations can be found on the More Information About State Authorization page.