Understanding ChatGPT at USF
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a chatbot developed by OpenAI in 2022. Based on artificial intelligence and large language models, ChaptGPT can be trained to follow an instruction in a prompt and provide a detailed response. It can be used to answer questions, perform different tasks, generate contents or code in a way that mimics human outputs. It has been quite controversial of its impact in academia in light of integrity of students' works, thus we put together some resources to help you understand more about ChatGPT, and to bring awareness of it as a tool in the future classroom.
ChatGPT in Teaching and Learning
- AI and the future of work: 5 experts on what ChatGPT, DALL-E and other AI tools mean for artists and knowledge workers
- What Will ChatGPT Mean for Teaching?
- AI in Higher Education: Research Hub
- Understanding AI Writing Tools and their Uses for Teaching and Learning at UC Berkeley
- As a college professor, I’m not worried about chatbot cheating. Here’s why
- AI Text Generators and Teaching Writing: Starting Points for Inquiry
- OpenAI's official ChatGPT Guidance for Educators
Tools to Help Detect AI in Student Work
- GPTZero turns the very technologies used to build ChatGPT around — to detect AI.
- What is GPTZero? The ChatGPT Detection Tool Explained By Its Creator
- Turnitin’s AI Writing and ChatGPT Detection Capability
- List from Texas Tech University Libraries
- How Artificial Intelligence is Impacting Higher Education: https://teachinginhighered.com/podcast/how-artificial-intelligence-is-impacting-higher-education/
- Teaching writing in an Age of AI: https://teachinginhighered.com/podcast/teaching-writing-in-an-age-of-ai/
- ChatGPT and Good Intentions in Higher Ed: https://teachinginhighered.com/podcast/chatgpt-and-good-intentions-in-higher-ed/
- How ChatGPT Bested Me and Worsted My Students (Brandi Lawless, associate professor and chair of the Department of Communication Studies, University of San Francisco April 20, 2023)
- What Higher Ed Gets Wrong About AI Chatbots — From the Student Perspective (Mary Jo Madda, Columnist, May 15, 2023)
- Will ChatGPT change How Professors Assess Learning? (Beckie Supiano, The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 5, 2023)
- ChatGPT v.s. Bing Chat: The main differences and which is best (Tharindu Dias, Slashgear.com, April 27, 2023)
- If You're Not Already Doing These 10 Productivity Hacks in ChatGPT, You're Definitely Missing Out You can start right away (Nick Hobson, Inc.com, April 24, 2023)
- This Was Written by a Human: A Real Educator’s Thoughts on Teaching in the Age of ChatGPT (Educause, Jered Borup, Associate Professor, Learning Technologies, George Mason University, March 21, 2023)
- A resources hub: Leverage AI for quality education (FeedbackFruits.com)
- ChatGPT will soon have access to the Internet (Emre Çitak, gHacks.net, May 8, 2023)
- Padlet: Generative AI and Education (Richard Fehrenbacher, Seattle University)
- How to cite generative AI in MLA style
- APA Citation Guide (APA 7th edition) on AI generated text and image