What is Hypothesis?
Hypothesis is a collaborative annotation tool, which is free and open to use for everyone. It allows you to annotate anywhere on the web by selecting text and add tags publicly or privately. You can reply to or share any annotation and link to notes or whole pages. Annotations can be created together in groups or individually, of which can be easily searched for.
Hypothesis facilitates active reading while nurturing students to engage socially with contextual ideas and achieving a deeper understanding of readings.
Resources for Faculty
- Hypothesis introductory slide deck for faculty
- How to set up Hypothesis readings through Canvas Modules
- How to set up Hypothesis readings through Canvas Assignments
- How to grade Hypothesis annotations in Canvas
- Course copy in Canvas (Contact Support for questions.)
Resources for Students
Help and Support
Other Resources for Faculty
Watch Video: "Where's Class? Meet Your Students in the Margins" - Presenters: Carmen Johnston, English Professor at Chabot College, and Denise Maduli-Williams, Associate Professor at San Diego Miramar College.