Respondus LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas quizzes by preventing students from toggling to other applications on their computer while taking the test. This is sufficient for a proctored settings.
Repondus Monitor, is an feature option you can enable in LockDown Browser to add extra quiz security through remote video proctoring of students while they take the test in the LockDown Browser.
LockDown Browser and Monitor WorkFlow and Overview
- Teacher enables the LockDown Browser tool in the Canvas course
- Teacher creates a Quiz in Canvas
- Teacher goes back to configure LockDown Browser to point to existing Quiz and "Lock it to be only be viewable within the Lockdown Browser"
- Teacher clicks the option to enble Respondus Monitor if desired
- Students download and install LockDown Browser on their computer using the USF Specific Download link provided in the student instructions below and on the Canvas Quiz page itself.
- When students are ready to take the quiz, they open up the LockDown Browser application on their computer, which directs them to login to Canvas and take the quiz within the Lockdown Browser. If the Respondus Monitor is enabled, it will first take them through steps to test their webcam and secure their test environment.
LockDown Browser Teacher Setup Instructions (LockDown Browser Only)
- Setting Up LockDown Browser in Your Canvas Course and Applying it to a Canvas Quiz (google doc)
This guide contains explicit teacher setup directions as well as step-by-step directions you can cut and paste and give to students. This document also contains the USF Specific LockDown Browser Download link:
- Learn How to Prepare an Exam (Respondus Video)
- Student Overview Video
Extending LockDown Browser with Respondus Monitor For Remote Video Proctoring
In addition to the Resources Below, the vendor, Respondus is offering live How to setup and use Respondus Monitor webinars
- Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor (video)
This short video will show you how to configure the Respondus Monitor and show you what it looks like from student perspective taking the exam.
Give these documents to students to help them prepare for your exam:
Instructions to Give to Students
Ensuring A Smooth Test-Taking Experience With Respondus Monitor+Lockdown Browser (PDF)
- Visit LockDown Browser website
- Respondus Monitor Instructor Resource Website
- 10 Reasons to use LockDown Browser