How to Use Turnitin in Canvas
Turnitin is a tool to help students avoid plagiarism and improper citation. Instructors can enable Plagiarism and Citation checking by simply choosing Turnitin from the Plagiarism Review dropdown box while configuring the Canvas assignment. Students submit their paper as a normal Canvas Assignment and access the Turnitin Similarity report within Canvas.All normal Canvas assignment features, such as Rubrics, Group and Peer Reviews, multiple dues dates and submissions are available with the Turnitin assignment.
New! AI Detection now available in Turnitin! See the AI Detection in Writing Guide for more details
- ETS e-rater, the Turnitin Automated Grammar checking tool, can also be enabled directly in the Canvas assignment.
- How to Create a Turnitin Assignment
- Student Instructions for Finding and Viewing Turnitin Similarity Report
- Import Template Turnitin Assignment into your Course from Canvas Commons: Go to Canvas Commons and search for USF Turnitin Template Assignment
- Turnitin’s AI Writing Detection Capabilities FAQS
- How to Submit Existing Student Papers Directly to Turnitin
If you are an instructor and need to submit a paper directly to Turnitin outside of a Canvas assignment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are a few documents from the Instructor Guide that may help you setup the Turnitin Assignment as well as navigate and manipulate the generated similarity report once students submit their work . Click here for the Full Turnitin Instructor Guide
|Assignment Setting options Explained||Working with a generated Similarity Report|
|Store submissions in...||Interpreting the Similarity Report|
|Compare submission against...||Viewing similarity matches|
|Customizing the Similarity Report||Viewing sources|
|Setting Similarity Report availability||Generating a new Similarity Report|
If your instructor has enabled your Canvas Assignment to be evaluated in Turnitin, you will just submit your assignment as usual. The Similarity report will be generated automatically.
- Accessing the Similarity Report
- Interpreting the Similarity Report
- Viewing similarity matches
- Viewing sources