Student Conduct Code - Section 6.7 Missing Student Notification
In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, this policy sets forth procedures for the University of San Francisco community regarding the reporting, investigation and required emergency notification when a student who resides in on-campus housing is determined to be missing.
Identifying a Contact Person
When admitted students apply for campus housing through USFrooms, they will have the option of identifying an individual to be contacted by the University within 24 hours of a determination being made that the student is missing in accordance with this policy. This contact information will be registered confidentially and only be disclosed to Public Safety or law enforcement personnel for purposes of aiding a missing person investigation. If a residential student is under 18 years of age and not an emancipated minor, USF is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing, in addition to notifying any additional contact person designated by the student.
Procedure for Identifying a Missing Student
During business hours (Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), if a member of the University community has reason to believe a residential student is missing, they should immediately report this information to:
- Student Housing and Residential Education (SHaRE) – (415) 422-6824, UC 5th Floor
- The Office of the Vice President for Student Life – (415) 422-5330, UC 5th Floor
- USF Department of Public Safety – (415) 422-4201
After business hours or on the weekends, the individual should contact the Department of Public Safety at (415) 422-4201. Any missing student report received by SHaRE or the Office of the Vice President for Student Life will be immediately referred to the Department of Public Safety.
Upon receiving a report of a possible missing residential student, Public Safety will immediately initiate a missing person investigation. If Public Safety determines that a student is missing, the following actions will take place:
- If the student has designated a contact person, the Department of Public Safety or the Office of the Vice President for Student Life will notify that contact person within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing.
- If the student is under 18 years of age and is not an emancipated minor, the Department of Public Safety or the Office of the Vice President for Student Life will notify the student’s parent or guardian and any other designated contact person within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing.
- Regardless of whether the student has identified a contact person, if the student is above the age of 18 or is an emancipated minor, the Department of Public Safety will inform any other law enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction in the area within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing. The Department of Public Safety and any other appropriate law enforcement agencies will continue to investigate the missing person report.
Nothing in this policy restricts the University from making earlier notifications. As necessary, the University may also contact other individuals to prevent harm to a student or others, to assist in the investigation, or who may otherwise be appropriate under the circumstances.