Group Therapy and Workshop Series
Fall 2019 Groups
- Anxiety and Depression Management: Tuesdays 12–1 pm
- Educational components, group discussion, and experiential exercises will enable you to identify your values and reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression. Sign-up required.
- Mindfulness and Positive Psychology: Wednesdays 3–4:30 pm
- Focus your mind on the present moment to become more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and sensations. This four-session group will help you apply mindfulness to daily life and teach skills for building self-compassion and gratitude. Sign-up required.
- Wise Mind: Thursdays 1:15–2:30 pm
- Manage and regulate emotions more effectively; address behavioral, emotional, and thinking patterns that cause misery and distress. Participants MUST be in concurrent individual therapy. Sign-up required.
Interpersonal relationship development
- Understanding Self and Others: Thursdays 3:00–4:30 pm
- Better understand yourself and develop more satisfying relationships with family, friends, colleagues, or romantic partners. Become aware of thoughts and feelings and how your background affects relationships. Sign-up required.
- Gender and Sexual Diversity: Tuesdays 5:15–6:30 pm
- For students who identify across the LGBTQQI+ spectrum. Build connections and engage in discussion. Topics can include the coming out process, intersectional identities, self-worth, and the impact of discrimination. Sign-up required.
- Hour of Power: Thursdays 3–4 pm
- Support group for students of the African diaspora. Black Resource Center-Gleeson Library
- Grief Support: Fridays 1–2:30 pm
- For students dealing with loss, bereavement, and grief. Sign-up required.
Anxiety Toolbox Workshop Series
A three-session workshop series based in cognitive-behavioral science to help you gain skills for understanding and managing stress and anxiety; call or stop by CAPS (415-422-6352) during business hours to sign up!
- 9/18, 9/25, 10/2 (Wed) 4:30–5:30 PM COMPLETED
- 10/4, 10/11, 10/18 (Fri ) 11:00–12:00 PM COMPLETED
- 10/23, 10/30, 11/6 (Wed) 4:30–5:30 PM COMPLETED
- 11/6, 11/13, 11/20 (Wed) 2:00–3:00 PM STARTED AND CLOSED
- 11/7, 11/14, 11/21 (Thu) 9:00–10:00 AM STARTED AND CLOSED
- NEW SERIES ADDED! 11/26, 12/3, 12/10 (Tues) 9:00–10:00 AM
BENEFITS OF GROUP THERAPY
- Group therapy helps you realize you’re not alone. While it is true that each of us is unique, none of us is alone in our struggles. Group therapy reduces isolation by giving members a place to connect on similar issues. Thus, group therapy is especially valuable for individuals dealing with depression, social anxiety, loneliness, and life transitions.
- Group therapy facilitates giving and receiving support. One misconception about group therapy is that members take turns receiving individual therapy from the therapist while others observe. Members are actually encouraged to provide each other support, feedback, and connection.
- Group therapy helps you find your “voice.” Group therapy can help you become aware of your own feelings and needs and learn effective ways of expressing them.
- Group therapy helps you relate to others in healthier ways. Often people don’t understand why their relationships aren’t working. Groups provide the opportunity to see just how people relate to others in real time and receive direct feedback.
- Group therapy provides a safety net. As members learn and practice skills in a group, their confidence for practicing them outside the group grows. They also carry the groups’ support with them between sessions. Members can report back to a group of people who care about them and will listen to their experience.
- Many CAPS groups are held on a weekly basis throughout the semester, a unique opportunity to receive weekly services through CAPS!
- Group members often form close connections and maintain them after the group ends.
BENEFITS OF WORKSHOPS
- Like groups, workshops provide an opportunity to realize you’re not alone--other students are there to learn skills and get information and support around the same issues.
- Workshops can provide practical skills and knowledge to build your coping tools, insights about yourself, and perspectives.
- CAPS' three-part Anxiety Toolbox workshop series gives participants the chance to practice what they learned in between each of three workshops. Each workshop builds on the last to enhance participants' learning experience.
Adapted from: https://psychcentral.com/lib/5-benefits-of-group-therapy/