Jobs & Experiences
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) suggests that students who complete a paid internship are more likely to get a full-time job offer! Internships, part-time jobs, and volunteer work all offer experiences that will help you clarify your career goals and give you hands-on experience that will help you develop the transferable skills employers are looking for.
What is an Experience?
An experience can include volunteer opportunities, research opportunities, collegiate athletics, campus clubs and activities, participation and/or leadership positions in student organizations, associations or committees. As you explore campus activities, consider those that match your professional and career interests!
What is an Internship?
An internship is a structured learning experience in a professional setting that allows you to gain valuable work experience in a chosen field of study. Internships can be paid or unpaid, full-time or part-time, and gives a student the opportunity for career exploration and development.
⚠️ Fraudulent Job Postings ⚠️
Fraudulent job posters are becoming increasingly more clever. Here are some good tips to help you identify and avoid falling for a fraudulent job posting:
- Verify the employer has a legitimate company email that is correctly spelled.
- Avoid interviews that are conducted over chat/email and instead request to speak on the phone.
- Be wary if an interviewer does NOT ask about your past experience.
- Don't send any personal information over email.
- You are asked to give your credit card or bank account numbers, or copies of personal documents - but you get nothing in return. (NEVER share this kind of personal information unless you are well down the interview path, are receiving an offer, and have had personal, face-to-face meetings with company representatives and recruiters.)
- You are asked to send a payment by wire service or courier.
- You are offered a large payment or reward in exchange for allowing the use of your bank account - often for depositing checks or transferring money.
- You receive an unexpectedly large check.
If you believe you have identified a fraudulent job posting, please contact USF Career Services at (415) 422-6216 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handshake is USF's online career management platform for college recruiting. You’ll be able easily upload your resume, search and apply for full-time jobs and internships, register for on-campus workshops and events, and schedule career counseling appointments.
GoinGlobal USA & Canada City Career Guides fast-track finding employment opportunities within the largest and most dynamic metropolitan areas in North America. Each City Career Guide contains recommended web sites, professional resources and reliable statistics.
GoinGlobal Country Career Guides are the ultimate international job seeker’s guide! Packed with country-specific information, this massive research tool contains more than 80,000 resources for finding international employment at home and abroad. Each guide has been developed by a local career specialist and is updated annually.
A mission-oriented organization that helps connect great talent with great companies through Micro-Internships. Micro-Internships are short-term, paid, professional assignments that are similar to those given to new-hires or interns. These projects enable Career Launchers to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks as they seek the right full-time role.
Glassdoor for Students
A free job search resource customized to meet the specific needs of college students and includes career overview pages, companies hiring new grads, and entry-level and internship search.
A job search tool for USF Nursing Students
This is a link to Student Employment for on-campus jobs at USF. On-Campus jobs are listed by Student Enrollment Services NOT the Career Services Center. For more information contact Student Enrollment Services
|American Political Science Association (APSA)||Minority Fellows Program|
|Association of Public Health Laboratories||Laboratory Fellowships|
|Associations of Schools of Public Health||ASPH/EPA Fellowship Program|
|California Senate Fellowship Program||California Senate Fellows|
|Carnegie Endowment for International Peace||Junior Fellows Program|
|Center for California Studies||Capital Fellows Programs|
|Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs||Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs|
|East-West Center||Asia-Pacific Leadership Program|
|Environmental Defense Fund||EDF Fellowships|
|El Pomar Foundation||El Pomar Fellowship|
|Environmental Protection Agency||Environmental Protection Agency Intern Program (EIP)
National Network for Environmental Management Studies Fellowship Program
|Families USA||Villers Fellowship for Health Care Justice
Wellstone Fellowship for Social Justice
|Greenlining Institute||Academy Fellowship Program|
|Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship Program||Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship|
|IDEX Fellowship||Fellowship in Social Enterprise|
|Indiana Governors Fellowship Program||Governor's Fellowship|
|John Gardner Foundation||John Gardner Fellowship|
|Lawrence Berkeley National Lab||Jobs Listings (search for keyword "fellowship")|
|NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services||Urban Fellows Program|
|Presidential Management Fellows Program||PMF Program|
|Smithsonian Institution||Office of Fellowships|
|Smithsonian Institution - National Air & Space Museum||A. Verville Fellowship|
|UC Berkeley Goldman School of Public Policy||UCPPIA Fellows Program|
|UC Berkeley Human Rights Center||Human Rights Summer Fellowship|
|US Aid||Global Health Fellows Program|
|The Villers Fellowship||Families USA|
|Wellstone Fellowship||Families USA|
The SF Department of Public Health has a listing of health clinics.
The Southeast Health Center is currently looking for volunteer clinical scribes. Interested students should contact Matt Bonomo, Scribe Program Coordinator, at email@example.com for more information.
Some additional clinics:
- Maitri Residential Care for People Living w/ AIDS
- St. James Infirmary
- Circle of Care - East Bay Agency for Children
- California Pacific Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente SF Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente South SF Medical Center
- San Francisco General Hospital
- St. Francis Memorial Hospital
- St. Mary's Medical Center
- UCSF Medical Center
- Alameda County Medical Center
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
- Eden Medical Center
- Oakland Children's Hospital
- Kaiser Permanente East Bay
- Stanford Hospitals and Clinics (including Lucile Packard Children's Hosp)
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- American Cancer Society
- American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter
- Asian Health Services
- Child Abuse Prevention Center
- LifeLong Medical Care (LMC)
- Women's Cancer Resource Center
- Aids Emergency Fund & Breast Cancer Emergency Fund
- HealthRIGHT 360
- National MS Society - Northern California Chapter
- The Shanti Project
- Peer Health Exchange
International Health Opportunities
Volunteer Programs Abroad - Short Term (2 weeks - 3 months)
- Amigos de los Americas - Public Health, Nutrition and Premed opportunities
- Cross-Cultural Solutions - Opportunities in Health Clinics and Hospitals
- Global Crossroad - Various Health Projects
- International Service Learning - "Hands-on", multi-disciplinary humanitarian health programs in Central and South America, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Africa
- United for Sight Global Impact Corps - Eye care for patients living in poverty
- World Endeavors - Opportunities in Health care and Health education
- Bone Health – Fair to raise awareness about osteoporosis
- SF Impact Health Fair
Health Related Charity Fundraisers
- Ride for the Cure
- Ride for Heart
- Race for the Cure – Susan G. Komen
- Team in Training
- Revlon Run/Walk for Women
- Health Outreach Team – Health Promotion Services
- Child Family Health International - Opportunities in community health clinics and hospitals
- Global Volunteers - Opportunities in Health care and Medicine
- International Studies Abroad - Health Opportunities
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps - Opportunities in nonprofit health care organizations national and internationally
- Operation Crossroads Africa - Medical outreach projects in villages and towns
- Peace Corps Volunteer - Opportunities in Hospitals and Clinics addressing HIV/AIDS
- Project Concern International - Opportunities in health and medicine
- ProjectsAbroad - Opportunities in Medicine
- Rural Community Development Program - Nepal - Opportunities in underdeveloped and understaffed hospitals and clinics
- Visions in Action - Opportunities in medical clinics
- Global Crossroad Internship - Opportunities in Community Health
- IES Abroad - Opportunities in Health and Medicine
- International Studies Abroad Internship - Opportunities in Health
- UC Education Abroad Program - Health Internship Placement upon request
- World Endeavors Internship - Opportunities in health
|ACE||Alliance for Catholic Education|
|Action Without Borders/Idealist.org||The most extensive clearinghouse for numerous valuable resources on volunteering, year-of-service opportunities, and internships throughout the world.|
|American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter||Trains volunteers to help prevent, prepare, and respond to disasters immediately.|
|AmeriCorps||Opportunities to serve through a network of partnerships with local and national nonprofit groups helping to meet critical needs in the community.|
|Bay Area Volunteer Information Center||Information about volunteer opportunities in the greater Bay Area.|
|California Volunteers||This is the state office that manages programs and initiatives aimed at increasing the number of Californians engaged in service and volunteering.|
|Catholic Network of Volunteer Service||CNVS is a membership organization of 200 domestic and international volunteer programs.|
|Catholic Relief Services||Working through local offices and an extensive network of partners, CRS operates on five continents and in 99 countries to aid the poor by first providing direct assistance where needed, then encouraging people to help with their own development.|
|ExCEL||Excellence in Catholic Education and Leadership (ExCEL).|
|Explorations in Travel||Vacations for women introducing you to life around the globe.|
|Good Works||A national directory of social change organizations.|
|Hands On Bay Area||Sign up for different kinds of volunteer projects around the Bay.|
|Idealist||Interactive site where people and organizations can exchange resources and ideas, locate opportunities and supporters.|
|Love In Action: SF Volunteer Organizations||List and description of volunteer organizations in San Francisco.|
|McCarthy Center's Office of Service Learning Community Partner database||Service placements for USF students, faculty, and staff.|
|NGOAbroad||A unique service that helps you enter or advance in international humanitarian work & provides frugal, customized international volunteer opportunities.|
|One Brick||Enables people to get involved, have an impact and have fun, without the requirements of individual long-term commitments.|
|Opportunity Knocks||Opportunity Knocks is a national online job site, HR resource and career development destination focused exclusively on the nonprofit community.|
|Peace Corps||Live and work in developing countries.|
|Presidio Visitor Center||Volunteer opportunities at Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Muir Woods National Monument, and Fort Point National Historic Site.|
|San Francisco Public Library||SFPL’s Volunteer Program includes a wide array of volunteer opportunities that meet the needs of our public library and its surrounding communities.|
|Streetside Stories||Streetside volunteers assist staff in the classroom as auxiliary storytellers, listeners, writing assistants, and mentors.|
|Teach for America||Teach For America is the national corps of outstanding recent college graduates of all academic majors and career interests who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools.|
|The Pallotti Center||Provides information about lay volunteer service opportunities in church-based programs.|
|The Volunteer Center||Serving SF and San Mateo - connects individuals, nonprofits and businesses with opportunities and resources needed to support local communities.|
|United Way of the Bay Area||Nonprofit programs building pathways out of poverty.|
|United Way Silicon Valley||United Way partners with over 90 community service agencies in Santa Clara County to improve stability for those in crisis by supporting basic needs and healthcare, counseling and support.|
|Universal Giving||Volunteer with the top-performing, vetted projects all over the world.|
|Volunteer Match||A listing of both short and long term volunteer opportunities.|
|Worldwide NGO Directory||Identify national and international NGO's and then go to the organization's website to research job or volunteer opportunities.|
|YNPN||Volunteer as an ad hoc committee member for a YNPN National Board Committee or Task Force.|