Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits
Pre-Tax Commuter Plan
- All part-time and full-time faculty and staff are eligible to set aside pre-tax dollars for qualified commuting expenses up to the IRS limit of $265 per month. If you have a university parking permit, are listed on a carpool parking permit, or live within a half-mile radius of the perimeter of campus, you are still eligible for the pre-tax commuter plan benefit.
- Commuter Check Direct (CCD) administers the pre-tax commuter plan benefit, which allows you to add transit passes and fares directly to a Clipper Card or to a Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard using pre-tax dollars deducted from your paycheck.
- To apply for the pre-tax commuter plan benefit, submit a completed Commuter Plan Enrollment Form at any time.
Pre-Tax Commuter Subsidy
- Benefits-eligible, full-time non-union staff may qualify for USF's commuter subsidy contribution of up to $81 per month. Benefits-eligible, full-time Union faculty or staff may qualify for USF's commuter subsidy contribution of up to $78 per month. You are not eligible for the commuter subsidy if you (1) have a university parking permit, (2) are listed on a carpool parking permit, (3) live within a half-mile radius of the perimeter of campus, (4) are not actively at work, (5) are not commuting, or (6) do not have a "transit" order placed with CCD.
- In conjunction with the pre-tax commuter plan, the subsidy is applied to your active Clipper Cards or Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCards each month.
- In order to receive the subsidy each month, you must have an active "transit" order with Commuter Check Direct (CCD). If you place a "parking" order with CCD, you will not receive the subsidy. Beyond the subsidy, additional monthly pre-tax dollars deducted from your paycheck may be contributed up to the IRS limit of $265 per month.
- If you are on a leave of absence (i.e. paid, unpaid, protected, or unprotected) you are not eligible for the subsidy. There are no refunds, retroactive or prospective payments of the subsidy.
- If you return to work from a leave of absence, you must re-apply for the commuter subsidy.
- To apply for the subsidy, submit a completed Commuter Subsidy Enrollment Form at any time.
Managing Your CCD Account
Once you apply for and are approved for the commuter plan and/or commuter subsidy, an account will be established for you with Commuter Check Direct (CCD) (company code: 1609), and you will receive an email with instructions on access and how to place orders. Please note the following:
- You are responsible for managing your CCD account. This means you must place, change, or cancel orders by the 10th of each month (9 p.m. Pacific time) to receive the transit benefit for the following month. If you miss the deadline, you will not receive the benefit for the following month.
- If you use a Clipper card, you must tag it by the 16th of each month in order to activate your monthly passes for that month. If you do not tag your Clipper card, your monthly pass will not load and cannot be refunded or recovered.
- Any missed employee pre-tax commuter deductions (i.e. due to leave of absence, insufficient earnings, or termination of assignment or employment) will be deducted from subsequent payroll checks. If your assignment should end for a period of time, you can log into CCD (company code: 1609) or call Customer Service at 888-235-9223 to change your order to zero (0.00) or suspend your order for certain months so that no catch-up contributions will occur.
- By placing your order with CCD, you agree and certify that the transit orders/products will be used by you only for the purposes of commuting to and from work. Additionally, you accept the terms and conditions of the Clipper cardholder license agreement or the MasterCard Cardholder Agreement if you order the Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard.
- In accordance with IRS guidance, any remaining balance on your Clipper card or Mastercard is not refundable to you should leave employment (either voluntarily or involuntarily), or are no longer eligible to participate in the plan. Please plan your transit needs carefully.
Lost/Stolen Clipper Cards
In order to receive commuter benefits, you must have an active Clipper card. In the event that your Clipper card is lost or stolen, please note the following:
- Immediately report lost or stolen Clipper cards by calling (877) 878-8883 or logging into your “My Clipper” account and clicking on “Report Lost, Stolen or Damaged Card.”
- Clipper will mail you a replacement card, which will be ready to ship in approximately two days.
- Alternatively, you can pick up a new Clipper card from Human Resources in Lone Mountain Main, Room 339 at no cost to you or from a participating transit center for a nominal fee.
- Once you have received your new Clipper card, you must immediately register it with both Clipper card and CCD. Failure to register your new Clipper card will prevent you from using it, and you may not receive the subsidy for the month. There will be no retroactive or prospective payments of the subsidy due to your failure to register your Clipper card.
- MUNI requires you to use (i.e. tag) your Clipper Card by the 16th of the month or it is no longer valid for that month. MUNI does not issue refunds, nor will CCD. Please see the MUNI website for more details.
Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard
- The Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard is a re-loadable commuter benefit card that is accepted at Transit Agencies or designated transit retail centers where only transit passes, tickets, and fare cards are sold.
- The Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard can be used at Fare Vending Machines, which saves you time waiting in line and time locating a customer service desk or staffed sales area.
- In compliance with the IRS, the Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard can only be accepted at designated outlets that sell transit products exclusively, such as Transit Stations and Kiosks. Stores that sell other products, such as gift shops and pharmacies (e.g. Walgreens or CVS), will not accept the Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard.
- If you terminate from the university, your Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard will only be active until the next order deadline of the 10th of the month. Please plan your orders carefully. For example: if you terminate from the university on May 19, 2019, your Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard is valid until June 10, 2019. In accordance with IRS guidance, any remaining balances left on your Mastercard are not refundable.