Benefits Enrollment Information
- Newly hired benefits-eligible faculty and staff have 30 days from the date of hire to complete their online enrollment in USFWorks, accessible from your myUSF dashboard.
- Current employees can review their benefits anytime or modify their benefits annually during open enrollment or within 30 days of a qualifying event in USFWorks, accessible from your myUSF dashboard.
For detailed instructions on how to make benefits elections in USFWorks, visit the USFWorks training web page.
- Gather all applicable supporting documentation if you are enrolling any dependent(s). A copy of a marriage certificate/registered domestic partnership is required if you are adding a spouse/Registered Domestic Partner. A copy of the child’s birth certificate is required if you are adding a child.
- Collect the date of birth, Social Security Number (SSN) and address for each dependent and/or beneficiary you wish to include.
- Consider your needs and the needs of your eligible dependents. Review any coverage offered through your spouse’s/Registered Domestic Partner’s employer to avoid costly duplicate coverage.
- Carefully review the plan information in the 2020 Benefits Guide and plan materials available on the Benefits web page.
Who is Eligible
- Regular full-time employees who work 30 hours or more per week
- Jesuits who are members of the USF Jesuit Community
- Employees of Fromm Institute, Loyola House, and St. Ignatius Church
- Your legal spouse (same or opposite sex) or Registered Domestic Partner (RDP as set forth in CA Family Code Section 297 and are same or opposite sex partners)
- Your natural child, adopted child, stepchild, legal ward, foster child, or an eligible dependent of your RDP up to age 26
- Your child over age 26 who is supported primarily by you and is incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical handicap (proof of the condition and dependence in required)
- Your previously enrolled Legally Domiciled Adult (LDA) who has been grandfathered into the plans as of Dec. 31, 2011 (no new enrollment of an LDA is permitted as of Jan. 1, 2012)
- For more information, refer to the family eligibility web page
Newly Hired: 30 days
- Newly hired benefits-eligible employees must enroll within 30 days of their start date in USFWorks, accessible from their myUSF dashboard.
- Once you enroll for the first time, many benefits will roll over each year unless you change them or unless the plan you chose is eliminated. Some benefits require annual re-enrollment, such as Flexible Spending Accounts.
Qualifying Events: 30 days
Current IRS regulations require that your benefits choices remain in effect during the calendar year unless you experience a qualified change in status, also known as a qualifying event. Your qualifying event change to your benefits must be consistent with the event (e.g. if you give birth to or adopt a child, you can add your child to your medical coverage plan). You must submit your qualifying status change online and provide the benefits team with supporting documentation within 30 days of the qualifying event (see table below for required supporting documents). Qualifying events include, but are not limited to:
- Marriage, divorce, legal separation, or entry into a Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP)
- Death of a spouse/RDP or other dependent
- Dependent's eligibility status changes
- Birth or adoption of a child
- You or your spouse/RDP experience a change in work hours that affects benefit eligibility
- Relocation into or outside of your plan's service area
|If you add this dependent:||You must provide HR with a COPY of this document:|
|Registered Domestic Partner (RDP)||Registered Domestic Partner certificate|
|Natural child||Birth certificate|
|Adopted child||Adoption decree|
|Dependent child or RDP||Birth certificate|
|Legal ward or foster child||Court documents and last tax return|
|Disabled dependent child over age 26||Birth certificate, proof of condition, and last tax return|
When Coverage Begins
|Date of hire||Medical Short- & Long-term Disability, Basic & Voluntary Life/AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Retirement Benefits||Short- & Long-term Disability, Basic & Voluntary Life/AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Retirement Benefits||Medical*, Basic & Voluntary Life/AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Retirement Benefits|
|1st of the month following date of hire
|Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, Childcare Subsidy
|Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, Childcare Subsidy||Dental*, Vision, Flexible Spending Account|
|1st of the month following date in which the first online order is placed
|Commuter benefits||Commuter benefits||Commuter benefits|
|After one year of full-time service (self/spouse/RDP) and
immediately for dependent children
|Tuition Benefits||Tuition Benefits||Tuition Benefits|
*Jesuit Health Trust