Printing to Pharos Multifunction Printers (MFPs)
content last updated 11-08-2018
Depending on the nature of your question or issue, there are four potential points of contact for support:
- Information Technology Services (ITS): help with downloading, installing, or using the printer software
- One Card: issues with your card or with the device's card reader
- MRC Xerox: using the devices, paper or toner replenishment, print quality issues, paper jams, or other mechanical issues
- USF Purchasing: pricing, student employee copy cards, non-technical administrative matters
Yes, most shared computers on campus, including those in XARTS classrooms, are configured to print to the network of Pharos MFPs on campus.
The exact name of the printer to select on your computer might vary, but it will always include the word "Pharos" somewhere in the name.
When you print, you send your print job to the entire network of Pharos MFPs on campus, not to a specific device. Then you can retrieve your print job from any Pharos device on campus.
In short, printing to a Pharos MFP is a two-step process: first you print your document, and then you walk up to the Pharos device of your choice to "release" the print job with your One Card.
These are the Pharos MFPs most commonly used by A+A faculty, staff, and students:
- the device in XARTS across from the restrooms
- the device on the ground level of Cowell Hall, down the hall from the Green Lab (CO G25)
The Pharos MFPs in XARTS and on the ground level of Cowell Hall support letter (8.5” x 11”), legal (8.5” x 14”), and tabloid (11” x 17”) paper sizes.
Yes. To set the color mode on a Mac, print as you normally would by selecting File > Print and then select the Pharos MFP from the list of configured printers. (The name of the printer varies, but will always includes the word "Pharos.")
- Switch to the group of print settings titled "Xerox Features."
- Select the sub-group of settings titled “Color Options.”
- Select "Black and White" or the color mode of your choice.
In the "Xerox Features" section of the print dialog box, explore the various sub-groups of settings to view all of the available options, including single-sided printing, double-sided printing, and stapling. Contact MRC Xerox for more information on these and other features.
MRC Xerox supplies letter size (8.5" x 11") and legal size (8.5" x 14") paper for most Pharos MFPs and typically stores it in a bin or in a cabinet near the device.
The Department of Art + Architecture supplies tabloid size (11" x 17") paper for the devices in XARTS and on the ground floor of Cowell Hall. We store that paper in the storage room in XARTS.
The Pharos network will automatically delete your print job if you don't print it within two hours.