Study Abroad

Please note: The Psychology department procedure for study abroad classes is different than the general process.

Psychology majors should first try to take Core courses and/or general (non-psychology) electives when studying abroad. If you want to enroll in a study abroad course and have it count towards the Psychology major requirements, you must have the course reviewed for equivalency and must submit a Substitution Request form BEFORE going abroad.

Only two psychology course requests may be submitted. If both psychology course requests are approved, students may choose only one study abroad course to count toward their psychology major requirements at USF. Other courses may count toward general elective units.

Study abroad course substitutions are not allowed for the foundational courses:

  • PSYC 101 - General Psychology
  • PSYC 260 - Psychological Statistics
  • RHET 203 - Writing in Psychology
  • PSYC 265 - Research Design
  • PSYC 270 - Biological Psychology

Steps to get credit for study abroad psychology classes:

  1. Complete the Substitution Request form.
  2. Attach the course syllabus. Course descriptions will not be reviewed. If you do not have the syllabus, contact the psychology department from your study abroad institution and they should be able to provide it for you.
  3. Submit your PEAI form after your course has been reviewed.
  4. After you have passed your study abroad course and your transcript has been submitted to USF, follow up with the psychology department at to have the course officially substituted on your degree evaluation for psychology credit.